1. Wash and soak rice in water for 10 mins. Then heat about 1 tsp of ghee and fry the rice for 2 mins until a good smell comes. When transfering rice to frying pan, try to squeeze out as much water as possible. 1 cup of basmati rice should be good to serve 2 ppl for 1 meal.
2. I use fresh vegetables for the pulav. Carrots, Beans, Potato and beet root. Peel and dice as needed and keep aside . You can also use frozen veggies too .When using frozen veggies measure about 2 cups of veggie.
3. Mix 1/2 or 1/4 cup canned coconut milk + 1/2 cup tomato pulp(u can blanch the tomatoes, remove skin and whip into a pulp or just use campbell tomato juice) + 1 cup water and keep aside.
4. Grind together : coriander(small bunch), green chillies(3 /4), khasa khasa (poppy seeds - 1/2 tsp), 2 tsp ginger garlic paste, 1/4 tsp saunf(ani seed), 2 tbl grated coconut, 1 or 2 elaichi, 1 inch patta(cinnamon) and 2 cloves and keep aside.
4. Heat pressure cooker with a little oil and ghee. Season with bay leaf (brinji elai or biriyani elai), cloves, cardomom and cinnamon and then fry 2 onions that have been cut lengthwise. When it turns transparent, add 1tsp ginger garlic paste. When a good smell comes, add all the veggies(step 2) and fry till they are cooked. Use a little water if needed. Add the masala paste (step 4) and fry for some more time. Now pour the coconut/tomato/water mixture and allow to boil. Add salt, rice and close lid and pressure cook for 10 mins on low flame. Switch off the stove and allow to cool. Open and mix gently and serve!